Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Smelling smoke at work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Smelling smoke at work

Some of my co-workers are smokers. Although it's prohibited to smoke inside the premises, they do go outside for the smoking break. My problem is I am extremely sensitive to smell of smoke. I constantly smell smoke in my office (despite having my own room), I can smell the after smoke body odor of my co-workers. Specially if they walk-by, It is like a trail of smoke. I try putting up a fan, blow it inward or outward to circulate the air, it makes no difference. I have no right to stop my co-workers from smoking. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell (other than quitting my job) ?  Is smelling their smoke something abnormal ? Is smelling a smoker's smoking body odor hazardous to my health (such as can it cause cancer )?

Thanks.
I thought I was the only one that can't stand to smell smoker's trail odor (STO) a new acronym, we need one. I work in a cubical where the smoker on the other side of my cubical is a heavy smoker, must take a smoke break every hour. I could move but why should I move, I'm not the root of the problem. I could wear a dust mask or purchase a air cleaner but why should I have to spend $$$ when I didn't create the problem? The worst time is when we have meetings and smokers time their breaks so they come to the meeting from the smoking area outside. I get up and move or stand in the corner, why should I sit there and puke! It gets in your clothes and I don't even smoke. I come home and my wife wants to know what bar I stopped at on the way home. Companies should give smokers 6 months to quit and they give them the boot if they can't. Companies should refuse to hire smokers, there is no positive side to smoking at all. This third hand smoke needs to stay outdoors or require smokers to take decontamination showers each time they come in the building.