Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Stabbing Pain in Left side of Back, Hurts when I take a deep breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

I have had a pain in the left side of my back about 3 inches up from the start of my ribcage that has really troubled me for 4 days now. The pain came out of no where when I was just sitting at work, which is wierd considering I play hockey and lift a lot of weights and it didnt begin when doing those activities. At first I thought it was a knot or muscle strain in my back but the pain started to change. I kept feeling a sharp pain almost convulsing pain, which I thought could be back spasms even though it wasn't in my lower back, it was a little higher up. The next day the pain subsided unless I took a deep breath or yawned, and the same sharp very concentrated pain would come back. To the point I almost couldn't finish sentences and I became short of breathe. Its hard to pin point a spot of the pain it seems like it is almost moving a little bit. It is very painful, but I can't seem to figure out what it is and and really have no idea. Has anyone had, heard of, or seen something similar or know what this is? Please help.
This sounds similar to what I experience with a dislocated rib which pinches a nerve and knots muscles up.  Many things can cause that kind of pain though..  I suggest you see your doc to see what he/she has to say.  

Feel better.
This needs to be evaluated.  Sharp pain that is not due to musculoskelatal sprain or strain can be serious.  You need to see a physician as soon as possible to exclude these serious potential causes that include blood clots or fluid around the lungs.
i have been getting pains in my left side of chest and under arm it worsens sometimes when i inhale and exhale sharp stabbing pains leaves me breathless eases off for a while then comes back  
i had a blood clot in lung, out of hospital 10 days now, my pain was under rib cage, now gone, but pain when i breath deep has changed.  its still on left side, but lower and more towards back by about 6 inches.  i see doc in 2 days, for one of my 2xweek check up.  hopefully this is not to serious and can be explained.  i am on warfin.  scares me a little though.
I woke up with a pain on my right side going towards the back - it felt like a bubble or that I had slept wrong but then continued to get worse.  I could barely breathe in or out without being in pain - as long as I took small short breaths I was fine - I couldn't yell or tense up as that caused a lot of pain in that area -  I couldn't move quickly with out being in extreme pain. My second day sleeping in the recliner, I had a tooth ache and had some amoxicillian left over from a tooth ache I had prior so I decided to take some with Advil and try to get some sleep.  I woke up ( I ACTUALLY SLEPT) and felt like 100% even though I still had some pain and discomfort like before but couldn't believe how good I felt considering the amount of pain I was in - I was in about 12 and now it continues at about a 2 but when the antiboitics run out I can tell, so I started taking the antibiotic on Saturday and have only about 10 left so I took two on Saturday, two on Sunday and two today and I can tell that something is loosening in my lungs - I am coughing up phlegm today and I am seeing specks of blood in it.  I guess I need to get this seen?  I have no insurance and was just laid off as well as my husband and I am trying to not over react.  What should I do?  Any ideas of what it is ??  
Hello  euj5927, no need to worry too much. First of all you need to consult with a good doctor, discuss clearly about your whole problem. I think if you have  a breathing problem, continuous pain and illness then it may be COPD.plese tell me your weight and about your smoking habits.