Aa
A
A
Close
Stage 4 Emphysema Life Expectancy
My mother is 64 years old and has smoked since she was 12 years old.  She still currently smokes about a half a pack a day.  She was diagnosed with emphysema 6 years ago.  She is on oxygen 24 hours at a rate of 2.5-3 liters per min, and she uses a Bi-PAP to sleep at night. Her FEV1 score is less than .25 liters.  She is becoming markedly more breathless w/ activity (she even gets breathless dressing herself).  She has had a number of exacerbations over the years including several bouts of pneumonia.  Right now, she is having averaging a hospital stay about every 4 months.  During the last 3 hospitalizations she has had to be intubated and put on a ventilator for for 24-36 hours.  I feel sure that she doesn't have much time left...maybe a year...maybe she won't make it through cold and flu season.

My question is am I right that her life expectancy is poor right now?  We can't really get good info from her pulmonologist b/c Mom won't discuss life expectancy at all.  She has a great deal of denial.  How can we help her accept her limited life span?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I would imagine that would depend on further exacerbations. She could go on like that for a long time.  Heart problems result from emphysema as well so its hard to tell. She really needs to quit smoking. Otherwise she will go to take a breath one day and it simply wont be there.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community Resources