Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Testing oxygen levels-sitting versus walking
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Testing oxygen levels-sitting versus walking

I am 49, have had COPD for over 15 years, and had a wedge resecction done in Jan. 2008. Every time i have my 02 checked it is excellent, but i am always at rest. (I wish they would check it when i walk in the door gasping for air).  At times i get headaches from just walking through the grocery store and have to use my hands to 'crawl' up the stairs. I am on disability and want to stay off oxygen as long as i can, but i can't go on like this much longer. My brother in Law checked my 02 with his meter (he also has COPD) after walking around the outside of my mother's house and it dropped from 98 to 85. I am digusted with my pulmo because his answer to everything is prednisone or antibiotics. Needless to say i am in search of a new Dr. Am i correct in assuming that a person's 02 drops when active? Am i wrong in wanting a test done while walking? Here are my stats if it helps: FEV1 pre-26, post-32  FEV1/FVC pre-29, post-25. These were from 12/2007. I am on Spiriva, Symbicort and Proventil. I also have asthma so perhaps that has something to do with it too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.