Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Testing oxygen levels-sitting versus walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

I am 49, have had COPD for over 15 years, and had a wedge resecction done in Jan. 2008. Every time i have my 02 checked it is excellent, but i am always at rest. (I wish they would check it when i walk in the door gasping for air).  At times i get headaches from just walking through the grocery store and have to use my hands to 'crawl' up the stairs. I am on disability and want to stay off oxygen as long as i can, but i can't go on like this much longer. My brother in Law checked my 02 with his meter (he also has COPD) after walking around the outside of my mother's house and it dropped from 98 to 85. I am digusted with my pulmo because his answer to everything is prednisone or antibiotics. Needless to say i am in search of a new Dr. Am i correct in assuming that a person's 02 drops when active? Am i wrong in wanting a test done while walking? Here are my stats if it helps: FEV1 pre-26, post-32  FEV1/FVC pre-29, post-25. These were from 12/2007. I am on Spiriva, Symbicort and Proventil. I also have asthma so perhaps that has something to do with it too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
are u disabled because of the copd?
Glad you are looking for a new doc.......he should do a 6 minute walk test (similar to what you did yourself.)  They do look for the drop in O2 level with exercise!  I can understand your reluctance to avoid oxygen, and maybe your current doc felt you would not agree to it and really has nothing more to offer to you.  But based on your current symptoms and your own 'walk test' I think you might reconsider.  Sometimes they have you just use the oxygen at night or for a few hours each day.  But you also need a doc that works with you and you need to be pro-active yourself.  Only you can decide about the quality of your life in your current state of health.