Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Twenty Two years old with possible COPD diagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Hi! I'm Matthew. I have been experiencing dizziness and MILD confusion.( sometimes unable to recognize objects in the hands of others.) I have to sit  and stare at the object to recognize it.

I have smoked for 8 years I am an asthmatic. I have had asthma since I was 12. I fear I may have copd because I have a chronic cough that sticks (BREATHING TREATMENTS DON'T HELP IT. STEROIDS DO) and dizziness that makes it hard to focus. I am constantly out of breath. The cough goes away when I quit smoking. Is it possible to improve my symptoms? Will exercise help? can these symptoms be permanently reduced? I hope I don't have copd
Tags: asthma smoking treatment symp, symptom, smoking asthma, Asthma, copd, help
Hi!
To reduce the symptoms you need to quit smoking. Since this is difficult, it would be best to join a support group. Other than this, you can do deep breathing exercises, blow into a big balloon and take up walking and/or cycling.
COPD/asthma many ways and one has to find the best method by trial and error. One way to treat is through nebulization. In this the drug goes directly into the lungs just like inhalers. Rotacaps is another such method. You can discuss this with the asthma specialist. The medicines used can be asthalin, trebutaline, steroids, ipratropium bromide, and chromolyn sodium amongst a few options available. You will have to keep the house, bed linen etc dust free. Check for molds at home—under sink, bathroom, toilets, drains, damp wall, under carpets etc. Mold spores can make asthma worse. Special masks are available in the market to take care of dust and pollens. HEPPA filters can be installed at home to take care of the allergens. Please consult an asthma specialist or any chest specialist and a change in prescription medications may help. Also pulmonary function tests should be done to assess the degree of obstruction and this will help in dose adjustment. Hope this helps. Take care!