Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
Water condensation in oxygen cannula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Water condensation in oxygen cannula

Does anyone else have trouble with their oxygen cannula dribbling condensed water into their nose? This is the second concentrator I've had that does this and it's making it nearly impossible to sleep - just when you're almost asleep you get a snootful of water. I suppose it's from the water bottle on the concentrator, but I've put on a new bottle, a new long tube and a new nasal cannula, and none of that's doing any good. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.  Thank you.

I have had that problem. If you have the "oxygen tubing water trap" on your tubing you may need to ask for another one or try emptying it. Sometimes a new one is needed if the seal is not tight causing the water to dribble into the nose! Hope this helps.

Virtualangel
aka: Donna
Thank you so much, Donna - I never heard of a water trap, but I Googled your information and learned about them - and also about other things to try. They call it "Rain-Out" and apparently it's more common with long tubing, tubing coming from a warm room - where the concentrator is - to a cooler area or over a cooler floor, a flat-topped humidifier bottle as opposed to a dome-topped one, etc. I'm going to try turning my concentrator 90 degrees to give it better circulation, which is one of their suggestions. The back of my machine is about 4 inches from a wall and apparently that can reduce the circulation that helps it stay cooler, so that's an easy try. And then I'm going to ask my provider about one of these traps; what a great thing that would be. For the last few days, I've just left the water bottle empty, but my nose doesnt' appreciate that at all.

Thanks again for your help - you are much appreciated.

Mary
Hell, i am facing the same problem, its a new machine purchase only a week back and my father is not liking it neither are his lungs accepting it. He was better off using the bottled O2. Now pls. tell me the way out of this.
Be sure not to overfill the cup with water.  Filling it 2/3s full only is best, otherwise it can bubble water into the hose.
I have trouble with water depending on the temperatures in my house.  I just invested in cup hooks to get my tubing off the floor. It may not be pretty but it's cheap and it works.
I have had this problem, added a water trap, tried all kinds of things, until I started thinking about the problem from a technical standpoint.  This is what worked for me (after having 2 service people come out who didn't solve the problem):
1) I moved the humifier bottle to the other end of the 50' tube
2) I connected the long tube to it, then the short tube they give you to the "out" connector on the bottle
3) connected the water trap at the end of the secondary tube
4) connected the cannula to the end of the water trap.

5 days with no moisture accumulation in the long tube, the short tube, water trap or cannula!  Problem solved.  Sometimes, you just have to look at it differently.
PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS.  COULD YOU BE A BIT MORE CLEAR AS HOW TO CONNECT THE LINES.   WHERE DOES THAT SHORT TUBE GO?  SORRY, BUT I DID NOT UNDERSTAND AND I WANT TO.  MY FATHER FEELS LIKE HE IS DROWNING AT NIGHT.  CURRENTLY I HAVE THE SHORT TUBE FROM THE CONCENTRATOR GOING  INTO THE HUMIDIFER, THEN THE 50 FOOT HOSE IS ATTACHED TO THE OUT ON THE HUMIDIFER.  I CANNOT VISUALIZE WHAT YOU ARE EXPLAINING.  WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.
Hi could you post that again and be more specific    Sounds like that's the way to go  I just need to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Thank you
Hi, I was having the same problem and after googling came up with a possible answer. Seems humidifying under 5L/pm doesn't do much for the patient. a nasal cream/spray alleviates most of the symptoms. Interestingly the humidifier systems are still freely available. Here's a link.
http://www.****.com/getattachment/351587f7-8146-4de7-a73d-33a1bd3c351a/.aspx