Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
What to expect with COPD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

What to expect with COPD

I was first diagnosed in my early 40's with COPD from routine breathing tests, then again from a chest xray.
I have always tired easily and have labored breathing, but thought I was just out of shape.
I am 62 now, quit smoking over 6 years ago and at that time requested a complete breathing exam.  This showed mild COPD and other issues I didn't understand.  I wasn't getting frequent colds and bronchitis years ago so didn't really think it was anything to worry about, but now that I am not smoking, I have been getting those more often.  I have had a bad cough for years which produces a lot of fluid from my lungs.
My husband notices that I am breathing heavy when I don't really notice that myself, I can usually tell when I am breathing heavy.  I am concerned that even though I quit smoking the COPD may still be getting worse.
Deep breathing makes me cough, but I am trying some breathing techniques and walking more often.  Will that help the situation?
Hello, I was diagnosed with COPD 8 months ago.  My dad passed away with emphysema, so it has me scared.  I understand that COPD does not go away.  You can make your symptoms better and maintain your health but you do need a good pulmonologist.  I was in the hospital twice this year before realizing that it was one of the medications that was making my asthma worse.  Any thing that you can tolerate exercise wise will naturally help your overall health.  If necessary start slow and build up to the exercise.  Walking is great.  I can't wait until my health is better so that I can get back to walking.  The doctor told me today that there are therapist you can see that will help you learn to breathe and handle COPD so that the disease doesn't overwhelm you.  You might want to talk to  your doctor about that.  I'm also 62 and it's not easy being this sick at a young age....yes 62 is young..lol
copd can be stablized but even as u age u lose lung compassity so  u get worse and deep breathing is to help u  get what u can up and help condition your lungs short walks is good with weathewr premitting but once u have it u have it for life hope u feel better soon and keep  up with you walking and doctor
My doc told me that two things are key in where I go with this disease. One is smoking, quit and never take another puff as your life depends on it. The other is staying as active as I possibly can. Stopping smoking can retard the acceleration process lowering it back to normal rates but does not reverse the damage already done. Exercise keeps the lungs and surrounding muscles in good condition which naturally helps keep the lungs in their best working condition as well as the heart which can also be affected by worsening copd. Ask your doc about a pulm rehab program in your area and if at all possible attend faithfully. My doc went so far as to tell me to never quit working! lol  I clean for tourists and snow birds (people that go north in summer) during season. It is hard get your heart racing, sweat running down the face work and I do two big houses a day by myself.  I can barely do it now and doc said keep going regardless of how you feel cause if you sit down, you will go downhill quickly.