chest discomfort
I have mild/moderate airways obstruction and am hyperinflated (about 110% of average). this doesn't restrict me that much, but I have chest discomfort that feels like some kind of spasm. This tends to worsen during the day. First thing in the morning I'm generally comfortable. The location of the 'spasm' can seem to be in the upper, central chest, or at the level of the diaphragm; sometimes the whole chest seems to be involved. Doctors seem at a loss to account for these sensations, as the COPD isn't all that bad. Anxiety has been suggested as a possible cause, but I don't really feel anxious. Could the hyperinflation be causing muscle tightness in the chest? Is there anything I  can do about this?
Hi!
If COPD has been ruled out as the cause of chest discomfort, then other causes such as anemia, gastric reflux, anxiety and heart causes should be looked into. A 12 lead EKG should be done. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. See if this helps. Get your blood checked for anemia. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!