Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
chest pain after quitting smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

chest pain after quitting smoking

I'm 32 yr old female.  I had been smoking for 19 years...woo long time.  About 2 1/2-3 mos ago I went from a pack a day to 3-5 cigs a day, then about a 3 weeks ago, I went to 1 cig a day and now I've been completely cig free for a week.  BUT...my chest hurts.  It's become steadily worse.  It mainly hurts on my right side and now I can feel it in my back, where I couldn't before.  It's gotten bad since I quit completely, but I have felt it this whole time.  I went to the ER a couple months ago and my chest xray was clear, also, had a chest xray done again and it was also clear.  The internet is a terrible place to research anything (go figure).  Everything there points to Lung Cancer, which obviously being a smoker, I'm terrified of.

The point is...has this happened to anyone else, simply from quitting smoking.  I've had other symptoms, insomnia, irritability, and the like.  But, the lung pain is really bothering me.  Especially now that I can feel it in my back.  Is it normal to have this kind of discomfort from quitting smoking?  Is my anxiety making it worse?  I'm a bit worried.

thanks a bunch!

Hi!
If you have been a smoker for 19 long years then it is commendable that you have quit smoking. Cough and chest pain can be the withdrawal effects of quitting. However any chest pain in smokers—past or current should immediately be investigated. It can be due to pleural effusion, inflammation, lung cancer or due to a clot or embolus. Rebound increase in blood pressure too could be the cause. Please do not delay, and seek medical care immediately. Take care!

I am 27 years old male and have been smoking from last 6 years with 1 year gap in 2010-11. I haven't smoked since 1 march 2013, not a single cigarette. I finally quit smoking now. But I am having chest pain on right side which is also going to my back also. I have cough and some times I spit out black mucus. I consulted with a lung specialist and told him all the things and done X-ray and CT scan of chest, the reports were all normal. My doctor said every thing is fine there is no need to worry and gave me prescription of some antacids and painkillers. But I am still worried, are these normal withdrawal symptoms of quitting smoking?

Thanks.
Hi im nearly 21. Im only tiny 151cm tall and weight 39kg i had been smoking since i was 16 not that long but yeah i have anxiety n panic attacks ive had numerous attempts at quitting recently ive been trying a bit harder as i starting getting pains in my chest , up my left arm in my back sometimes it felt like someone was pinching me behnd my ribs , i also had heart burn and reflux i went to er theyonly checked my heart n said it was all fine n precscribed me to reflux meds when i started them i quit smokng and went to 4mg nicarette gum and they pins lasted a fee more day then went then i ran out of gum and lit upagain same thing happend got the pains quit went bak to the gum. And they went away. And with having anxity im a worrier a big one everytime i thought somethng was wrong i went to google n all that was going threw my head was cancer, heart deseae. Dying n it made me go into constant panic attacks wen i thought something was wrong wih me all the time i culdnt sleep at night alays tired amd dosnt help having a 4 year old son but now ive been on 4mg gum for 4 weeks and m starting.to feel good got more energy dont get the pains.  
Hi Dr. Mathur,

Just wanted some advice from you. I am 35, am a diabetic type 2, have been a smoker (10-12 cig a day) for 10 ys, quit smoking a month back. I quit because I was getting bit of dull pain on my right upper front side of chest below the shoulder blade and chest felt bit heavy.
But as I quit, I seem to feel more uncomfortable in the right upper part of chest every now and then. The pain is not terrible though and there are time when I don't feel it at all. But when I lie down on my right or make specific movements, I feel some discomfort. Sometimes I feel heavy in the chest also.

I don't seem to have any cough or major weight loss or any other complications which is very evident.

Internet browsing is so damn scary as everything point to lung cancer and pancoast tumor. I know I need to vist the doctor and have already scheduled the appointment. I have got an xray done and will be taking it alonmg to my doctor in a weeks time.

But if you can throw any advice or inputs as what could be a probable cause, it will help me a lot mentally.

Thanks,
Mukul