Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
difficulty breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

difficulty breathing

i have difficulty breathing and it is making it hard for me to get around as exertions make it worse i was diagnosed with copd 3 years ago at my gp surgery after spirometry teste although my breathing was ok and no problem to me  i like singing and noticed i could not hit are hold the noughts the same then 3 months ago i had a chest infection and took antibiotics  my chest cleared but my breathing was bad since then i have had a spirometer test at my gps which was the best ever however un known to me 2 months prior to this my spiro test was moderate but just below severe but i did not have any probs then i have just had a spirometry and echocardiagram done that are normal next week iwill see the consultant but this is becoming atrait with me i had a single cabag done 9 years ago i went back to work and was fine for 4 years then i got chest pain and after angiogram was told tha my blocked artery had cleared and the graft was now redundant all 4 artries were full bore  i went back to work but over the next years i had to be off work many times and many tests were done that were all normal eventualy my company had to finish me on ill health that was 3 years ago i have had probs since and they are ongoing but it was put down to a brain responce iwas getting all these symptoms through my brain i know this can happen but i am now begining to think that i need to see a phychiatrist my own feelings are that something is wrong but the tets say not and i am a hardy chap not lent to imagination i can take and have took knocks in my life i am 62 years of age  do not suffer with anxiety other than about this  but this is destroying me my job was lost my working life finished and now my mobility and all tests are normal can you help put this into prespective for me as for copd i was nearly svere but fine now im bad im normal crazy
Hi!
Well, it is a very difficult situation to access on net. If the tests are normal and yet if you have a problem, then either the breathing problem is not due to COPD or you are imagining it due to anxiety. Try inhalers and bronchodilators and see if they are helping you. Breathlessness can be due to several causes. The commonest cause is anemia. It can also be due to asthma like conditions, bronchitis (this should be evaluated further), high blood pressure, diabetes, hypothyroidism or obesity. Certain heart conditions too can cause breathlessness like mitral valve prolapse, high pulmonary artery pressure etc. Stress and anxiety too can be a cause and so also gastric reflux. Take an antacid and omeprazole and see if it helps.  Also, it may help to see an counselor.
Take care!
Sorry i have not replied earlier thanks for your reply i have been to see the hospital consultant today  and had another spiometry test the result was 73% the consultant said i had moderate copd but then i think he was reluctant to accept that y mobility is so bad if i go upstairs it leaves me breathless if i walk 40-50 metres i get breathless i do try to persevere further but that results in a tight chest and short breath that takes longer to clear he consultant has told me to go back and see my gp an he will tell him to alter my inhaler . You mention anxiety i do suffer with that but only with regards my health i am a hardy type of chap usualy very easy going but my  heart probs and now my mobility due to this has knocked me for 6 i had 10 mins with the consultant  it seems i have to accept this condition