early stage emphysema
I have asthma and apparently, mild emphysema. I am 43 and smoked for 21 years. I quit 6 years ago and am a regular runner. I can run for 5 miles with little exertion, but I usually run for about 3 miles. I can still pass the army physical fitness test (2 mile run) in under the minimum time limit. My last spirometry test showed only 17% less lung function for my age so my doctor said I only have mild asthma but I do use a twice daily preventative inhaler. With no sign of emphysema on the spirometry test and being a regular jogger, my doctor looked surprised when he saw early emphysema on a lung X-ray. Now I am scared. Will it get worse and worse over time? Will I have to add more preventive inhalers later on? Will my ability to run decrease? What is my prognosis? Thank you
It is very hard to diagnose emphysema with a chest X-ray. No one can predict how fast, or how slowly, your condition will progress. I was diagnosed about 25 years ago and I am still here (age 81). There is no point in worrying about it. Keep up your exercise, eat a healthy diet, and enjoy your life.
What type preventive inhaler do you use? You condition is milk and does not warrant and inhaled steroid. Inhaled steroids have serious side effects and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I agree with all of the above advice. The first thing you need to do is to have a definitive diagnosis by a lung Doctor. If you do have Emphysema it would be slight. Keep up the exercises and stay well. Avoid colds and any illness that effects the lungs. It is a progressive illness but if you don't smoke and stay well you will live a very long time. Just get a positive diagnosis. It may not be anything you are thinking. Mistakes are made all the time just by looking at an x-ray.
Good luck and Gods speed.