emphysema diagnosed to my mom
my mom was diagnosed with emphysema yesturday basically she has like a scar in her lung that hasn't progressed in 2 years now (the scar) she has shortness of breathe when she is active. my mom is also a diabetic. what can i expect of my moms life expectancy at this point? what can she do to help her condition? (she use to spoke for many years but she quit 4 years ago). Please help me in knowing what to expect of her condition. Thank you for your prompt attention on this matter. My mom's age is 63.
If her emphysema is milk her life expectancy is not affected. Unless it gets worse, that is.
i dont quite understand your answer (its milk) but thanks for replying.
Cici - did your Mom see a pulmonologist and have pulmonary function study done?  The results will classify what stage she is at.  SOBE (shortness of breath with exertion) may be the first indication (and is frequently what takes a person to the doctor) of copd/emphysema.  It can be managed with inhalers taken as prescribed.  Even moderate copd (this includes emphysema) people can live decades with good management.  Yes, she may need to learn some breathing techniques and modify her life style, but there is a wealth of information available to help her!   A diagnosis of copd can also bring about many different emotional feelings.  It is great she quit smoking but copd does continue to progress - more slowly without cigs, but it still happens.  Doctors don't know why only 10-15% of smokers develope copd, same with lung cancer.  And there are many people who never smoked or were exposed that also develope copd.
From what you wrote, now would be the time to get her to a pulmonologist, get proper testing and on medication (it may take trial and error to find the right combination to ease her symptoms, but it will make her feel so much better!)
You didn't say what the 'scar on her lung' is all about.  'Scar' is not a term used often.  Might it be a old healed nodule?
I know you are very concerned and glad you are seeking information!
I didn't check my typing. Sorry. It should read, "If her emphysema is MILD...."