Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
end stage
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

end stage

My sister has COPD. She is now on 5 liters of oxygen and 60 mg of predisone. Could you tell me about how much longer her life span is? I know she is in end stage, but in a matter of a week she went from 4 liters to 5, and 40 mg to 60.
Related Discussions
518117_tn?1406585660
Dinese, I am not a medical expert by any means. But, I very much do understand, when you mention the 5 liters of oxygen and 60 mg. of predisone. My mother had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. A terrible lung disease that has no cure and is terminal. Mother passed away in Aug. 07 four months after a lung transplant. She was on 5 liters of oxygen and the predisone, along with many other meds. Hon, I cannot and will not predict anyone's life span. I do though believe it is up to the individual. Mother was diagnosed in 2004. The doctor traced her lung disease back to 2001 though. Upon the 2004 diagnosis, momma went downhill quickly. And of course she suffered greatly. But, she hung on 3 yrs. after diagnosis. Many times we thought we would lose her. But each time, she would prove us wrong. Until the lung transplant of course. Lung disease runs heavily in my family. My mother's only sibling a brother had COPD and CHF. The doctors gave him 18 mths. to 3 yrs. to live. He was in the end stage. My mother's brother lived 8 yrs. in this stage of his disease. Approx. 6 mths. before momma's passing, my only sibling a brother was diagnosed with COPD. Two months after momma's passing, I was then diagnosed with COPD as well. I was diagnosed in Oct. 07 by my family doctor. I then got a second opinion with a pulmonary doctor. Both doctors confirmed that I had COPD. I am currently bordering between the moderate and severe stage. My heart goes out to your sister and you. I wish I had the answer you seek. But, it is not one that I can give. I do greatly understand what your sister and you must be feeling at this time. I have been there with my mother. I worry about my brother now. Then, in the back of my mind, I will admit, I wonder how long I have to live and what the end will be like. I will say a prayer for your sister and you. God bless you both during this very difficult time.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank