Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
loss of respiratory drive

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

loss of respiratory drive

for about a week now i've noticed that i experience an acute loss or respiratory drive when i smoke, maybe just after a few drags or a few mins after i finsh smoking, first time it was very serious i had to get out of the car and force my self to breathe, later on i realised that the symptom is relieved by alcohol. and if i smoke and drink it doesn't happen, also it doesn't happen every time i smoke, just starts out of the blue. will like to know the cause and treatment. i am 34 male hypertensive and currently taking atenolol, amlodipine, moduretic and captopril to control my hypertension, don't knwo if it is a drug interraction, i am not sure cos at times i will smoke it doesn't occur. anyway have decided to quit, this is my second day off cigs, but if i can know the cause and treatment i might go on enjoying my cigs
dude .. its simple STOP SMOKING , stay smoke free and avoid the kinda crap that I and half the other folks on here are going through
Stop smoking! I know it is hard especially when you enjoy the cigs...but each one cost your body what it needs.  If it only happens when smoking then STOP - don't let this warning become something more serious before you STOP.
When you smoke, you usually take a deep breath.  Talking several deep breaths and exhaling lowers the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) in your lungs and blood level.  You need a certain level of CO2 to initiate the respiratory center in the brain.  If you lowered your CO2 level a little below your personal level, you don't have the drive to breath in again.  Everyone is different....this is just a simple explanation without the physiology lesson.......