Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
pain in chest and ribs when exhaling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

pain in chest and ribs when exhaling

I was awaken 3 night ago hurting in the middle of my chest ( almost like someone was ripping it apart), when I stood up it went away, but as soon as I layed back down it started again. Now i still hurt when I exhale but it not only hurts at the middle of my chest it feels like someone is stapping me in the ribs. Any ideas on what this could be? I had a cold over 2 weeks ago, and have been fine for the last week. It also huts to cough or sneeze
Hi!
If the pain is on the outside, it can be costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way.
If the pain is on the inside, then it can be a a bad gastric reflux. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. See if this helps.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!