severe copd
i am 42 and was diagnosed with severe copd aged 39 on that very day i stopped smoking without any help it was fright that stopped me,since have 2 spyrometry tests,and lung function test i have to go again in few weeks in last 2 years my health gone downhill quickly and am worried sick,i feel am not being told enough,am housebound and now have to use wheelchair because cant walk more than 2 steps very breathless,am on spiriva/symbicourt/ventolin/ventolin nebules and sodium chloride for nebuliser,5 off my family members have this is it hereditary as am worried for my children even now my daughter who is 18 showing signs of breathlessness,if its not hereditary can it be because my dad was builder in 1965-1978 when i was little he used to demolish houses/walls while we were still living in them how do i no if there was asbestos in any of them walls /ceilings can i find out sorry its so long 1st time spoke about this feel been given death sentence thank you so much
Does anyone of your member developed COPD eventhough they are not a smoker?  The fear of mesothelioma (a very rare form of cancer) due to asbestos could be warrant if some of your family members are exposed to it.  In order to verify if your COPD could be due to asbestos, you can ask your doctor for a tissue biopsy to confirm it.  I'm sorry to hear that your young daughter is showing signs of shortness of breath, but perhaps that might be an indication of some other causes instead of exposure to asbestos.