spirometry and allergies
About 5 years ago, I had some spirometry results that indicated possible early emphysema (I was 40 at the time).  I quit and felt better within a couple weeks.  I recently found out that I'm allergic to tobacco.  Is it possible that the spirometry results were affected by this and that I don't really have the beginnings of emphysema.  I'm just curious because it's always been a concern.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Spirometry helps to assess the lung function. From whatever cause the lung damage has occurred, it helps to determine the present status of lung function. The lungs age with smoking as in comparison to the person’s age. If you stop smoking at this point, the lungs are not damaged any further, though the damage that has already been done cannot be reversed. So, giving up smoking would be the first step towards controlling the progression of lung damage.

Allergies too can affect the lungs and decrease its function. To know the present status, you can have spirometry test repeated. Consult your doctor regarding this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.