Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
spirometry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

spirometry

Hi.  I recently had a spirometry and have some questions and concerns about it.  My doctor said it's normal, but the report says mild airway obstruction.  Also on the top, it says COPD Risk: Low.  Does that mean I don't have COPD?  Here are the numbers.  Before bronchodilator: FVC, 112%, after 116%.  Before bronchodilator, FEV1, 88%, after 80%.  Before bronchodilator: FEV1/FVC, 79%, after bronchodilator: 69%. Can you help  me interpret these numbers?  I'm kind of nervous, even though she said it's normal, because of the mild airway obstruction and the COPD Risk of Low. THANKS!!  

My symptoms have been a slight dry cough and odd feeling when I breathe deeply, for the last two or three months.  
Hi!
The FVC and FEV1 should be more than 80% before and after bronchodilators. If the predicted values are also above 80% then the risk of COPD is pretty low. The normal FEV1/FEV ratio is also around 80%, so 79% is normal. Any value less than 70% is considered indicative of COPD. After bronchodilators, your value came as 69%, which is again near normal. So there is a mild obstruction and the risk of COPD is low (or you are less likely to progress to COPD). If the predicted value for FEV1/FVC is 69% or less then COPD is most likely. So in your case since the FEV1, FVC are normal and the ratio is near normal, a slight obstruction is expected (may be due to bronchitis or an allergic cough or upper respiratory infection) but risk of COPD is less likely. Please discuss with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.