Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
what r your thoughts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

what r your thoughts?

my mom who is in her 79th yr is in ICU. We were told the other day she has severe lung disease, COPD.She is now in an induced coma with life support. This is now day 7 the breathing machine. When that was put in she was at a 40 and is now at a 85 reading on the machine. We were told yesterday the infection in her lung was worse then the day before.
The Dr will be doing a Trac, most likely on Monday.
My mom was an active lady, ate good quit smoking about 16 yrs ago. This has come to a real shock to my sister and I as our mom had been keeping her lung dr appointments a secret. We have now learned that she was advised to get an oxygen machine and had refused. The nurses in ICU give us hope then there is another one who doesn't. The Dr said she is very ill. What are her chances of coming through this? We of course are so broken hearted.
tx
Remember that the patient's are put on a trach for the convenience of the hospital and not necessarily the benefit of the patient. A trach gets them out of the the ICU. She is not old at seventy-nine. My "little one" is not a hundred and nine. It is impossible to determine her "chances of pulling through" however her decision not to get oxygen supplementation had nothing whatsoever to do with her infection. The problem is with infections is that when the bacteria are destroyed they release toxins. Ask if the infectious organism has been cultured and if not scream your head off. I suspect they are simply administering broad spectrum antibiotics. Watch the "bubbler". Often fluid ends up in the lungs because of the oxygen bubbler. Don't give up hope.
Thanks for the reply! I am not sure what u mean by the "bubbler" I believe the trac. is also more comfortable for the patience.
Today they have reduced some of the vent. she is at a 65 now and taking breaths. Her blood pressure is much better today too.
Is there any chance that the infection could clear up or will it continue to worsen?
The "bubbler" is the little plastic container filled with sterile water through which the oxygen bubbles. Almost without exception there is too much moisture conveyed through this device leading to fluid in the lungs. In general the respiratory therapist pays no attention whatsoever to your complaints. The key to destroying a bacterial infection is to use the appropriate antibiotic. This is almost impossible without taking a culture, a practice not followed very much in a modern hospital. I would be very optimistic for a recovery.