Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
white sticky phlegm
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

white sticky phlegm

hi my dad constantly spits up white sticky phlegm all day, every day! He will not go and see a doctor but he also finds it very hard to breathe. he did used to smoke and stopped almost a year ago and this has been happening since then. Its never dis-colored phlegm always pure white and sticky what could this be?? x
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
This could be several things.  I know the constant coughing is annoying to him and ALL those around him.  I have a chronic cough with sticky phlegm as well.  I know what it is like.

First:  He could have asthma of COPD (especially COPD since he was a smoker).
SeconD:  He could have a chronic infection that could be treatable.  That is the case with me.

I pray that you get some answers soon.
Blank
518117_tn?1406585660
I am in agreement with bsmsl. I was diagnosed 3 yrs. ago with moderate stage COPD. I too get mucus mainly in my throat. Many times I cannot cough it up. When I can get something up, it is usually white in color. Either your Dad has an upper respiratory infection or could possibly have some form of COPD. Different lung problems fall under the umbrella term COPD....asthma, emphysema and chronic bronchitis. I personally have emphysema and chronic bronchitis.

Your Dad really needs to see a doctor. A lung xray and a simple breathing test called a spirometry will determine if he has COPD. This is not going to go away on its own. I will pray for your Dad to seek medical treatment and this is nothing but an infection. God bless.
Blank
yes your dad should get a chest xray asap... likely some form of COPD... perhaps Bronchiectasis if he continually produces mucus like that
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...