Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder Community
work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder.

work

I work as a cashier at a busy retail super center and lately I've been missing a lot of days because of copd. All the days I've missed have been doctor approved and on file. So far management has been really nice about it as it seems all of them have a relative or friend with emphysema. But they also fire people all the time for attendance, there's s big turn over of people there for that reason.  I was wondering if anyone has work related issues or advice if I do get fired for copd.
Hi!
You can avoid further absence by better managing your COPD. This can be treated in many ways and one has to find the best method by trial and error. One way to treat is through nebulization. In this the drug goes directly into the lungs just like inhalers. Rotacaps is another such method. You can discuss this with the asthma specialist. The medicines used can be asthalin, trebutaline, steroids, ipratropium bromide, and chromolyn sodium amongst a few options available. You will have to keep the house, bed linen etc dust free. Check for molds at home—under sink, bathroom, toilets, drains, damp wall, under carpets etc. Mold spores can make asthma worse. Special masks are available in the market to take care of dust and pollens. HEPPA filters can be installed at home to take care of the allergens. Please consult an asthma specialist or any chest specialist and a change in prescription medications may help. Also pulmonary function tests should be done to assess the degree of obstruction and this will help in dose adjustment. Since you have a sitting job, you should be able to manage well. Hope this helps. Take care!