Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Can broken bones heal wrong and cause chronic pain?

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hello, I was hoping that someone might have an opinion or past experience about this........about 1 1/2 years ago I was seriously injured racing motocross. Most of my injuries healed normally, however I did break my back (mid-back) and multiple ribs on the left side and my collar bone. My question is, is it possible for ribs or a collar bone to heal incorrectly resulting in chronic pain? After I have healed, the left side of my chest sticks out really far compared to the right side.......you can see it just by looking at it. My left collar bone is shaped way different than the right one now and my left rib caged it also shaped differently than than the right side. The left side of my chest where it sticks out cracks and pops a lot as well as my left collar bone and the left side of my mid back. Could it be possbile that all of these bones healed crooked? And if so, would that cause chronic pain?
If your description is accurate-- that a number of your bones healed 'crooked'-- then I would say that certainly there would be pain associated with the displaced bones. BUT... that is a hard scenario to imagine.  When a person breaks a bone, most of the time the fracture is not 'displaced';  the ends of the bones line up with each other, and after healing the bones are re-sculpted so that you cannot see evidence of fracture without using an x-ray.  When a person has a displaced fracture, they are very sick;  the ends of the bones bleed, the marrow cavity bleeds, and there would be a hematoma the size of a watermelon.  Moreover, displaced fractures often don't heal, as there is constant motion at the fracture site that prevents the bone from fusing together.  Normally, changes in shapes of things after injury are coming from changes in posture;  the pain and muscle contractures cause the body to be held a certain way that makes the thorax and other body areas appear deformed.  I can't say for sure, without seeing x-rays comparing the two sides of your body, but this is my best guess for the info we have.