Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Diagnosed with Costo-Chondritis?

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Diagnosed with Costo-Chondritis?

I was just recently diagnosed with costo-chondritis, by a pain specialist/cardiologist. Before I was diagnosed, my cardiologists thought it was related to my tachycardia, but I was in pain regardless of whether or not I was having problems with my atrial tach. The diagnoses seems to be the right one, my pain is gone but I also have a controlled heart rate again, (under 180), and my question is whether or not the pain is supposed to be completely gone as soon as my heart rate was controlled again. I don't have any pain, which is absolutely wonderful, but my research into the condition, states that the pain does not disappear right away, it can take up to a year. I'm just wondering if this is right diagnosis?

Thank you,

mammaoftwins
Mamma, your situation is a bit unique.  Most people with costochondritis don't find a cause, and do not have a cardiac history.  In your initial post you seem to suggest that the pain of costochondritis is somehow related to atrial tachycardia;  they are two entirely separate conditions, and the fact that your ablations slowed your tachycardia is not the reason for the improvement in your costochondritis, which is more a function of inflammatory activity in the cartilate of the ribcage.  

Likewise, I am not sure how to relate 'frequent ablations' to the development of costochondritis;  the ablations, I presume, were done during a catheterization;  the only connection to the ribcage would be (and maybe this is what happened) if they had to do CPR at some point during your electrophysiologic studies.  To spell it out more clearly, during ablations, a catheter is placed in the heart and a current passed to burn some of the conductive tissue of the heart;  they sometimes cause cardiac arrest during the procedure, and in prolonged cases of cardiac arrest the patient may need CPR until the heart gets re-started.  Just a thought... but CPR is certainly something that could cause costochondritis.
Hi, I was diagnosed with costochondritis last july, but have had its syptoms (symptoms) for almost 2 years. I sitll experience the pain. The problem is that once you get it, the cartilige can repeatedly get agitated, causing more inflammation and pain. i have taken numerous NSAIDS and had pt, but it still always comes back within a couple weeks. If you still have pain, it's normal. If not, consider yourself lucky! Each case is different and the cause is usually unknown, so it's possible that yours was easily treated. Unfortunately, it's also possible that it will flare up again.

Good luck,

shany561
Thank you for your comment. I spoke too soon. I've been getting pain again after exercise, but it is mild compare to the bed-ridden and pain that knocked me to the floor before. Thankfully the Motrin works, and I'm really glad to have a diagnosis. It really stinks when you suffer and you don't know whats causing it. Do you know what caused your Costo?  My doc said it was from having numerous ablations in a short period.(Most lkely cause). Anyway, I wish you luck.

Thank you,

Mammaoftwins
no they aren't sure, but i'm assuming it's from stress in my case. i'm happy the motrin is working for you! and yes, getting the diagnosis is such a relief! it took them forever to figure it out with me, and it stinks when you have a pain that can't be found. anyway, try to take it easy!
A related discussion, Costro Chondritis? was started.