Chronic Pain Expert Forum
General Weakness and Chest Pain

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

General Weakness and Chest Pain

Over the last year I have had a significant change in my ability to just get through a normal day of activity. This means getting up, showering, going to my job (same one I have done for 27 years), coming home, preparing dinner and normal household chores.  It has become more and more difficult just to get out of bed and by the time I take a shower I feel totally exhausted. Some days are worse than others. I have chest pain and on May 29th went to the emergency room because I became light headed while in the store with my chest hurting. The EKG taken looked good and the enzyme test ruled out a heart attack. A CT scan did not show any blood clots and the lungs appeared fine.  I do not have a shortness of breath just an overall feeling of exhaustion. The more tired I am the worse the pain is in my chest.  It never goes completely away but gets a little better with rest. I am a type II diabetic, have high cholesterol and on oral medications. I also take a medication for blood pressure not because my blood pressure was high but as protection for my kidneys. I have developed tendonitis in both elbows in the last year and have had 2 cortsone shots to get some relief after PT did not produce an improvement. I also have osteoarthritis in the L5S1 of the back. I am very concerned with this being exhausted all the time and the feeling of weak shaky muscles.  Any suggestions for talking to my doctor and what to test for?
Gosh-- I hear complaints like this often, believe it or not-- maybe not with such severity, but there seems to be many tired people out there!  Unfortunately, the causes are never clear.  Given the broad and diffuse nature of your fatigue I would look at the laboratory studies for abnormalities in thyroid hormones, calcium, glucocorticoid hormones...  a 'sed rate' would give an indication of the presence of chronic inflammatory illness, particularly something autoimmune like lupus.  If you are having actual wasting of muscles or profound weakness, an EMG or even a muscle biopsy may be indicated.

Please let me know if you find an answer.