Chronic Pain Expert Forum
I'm worried sick
About This Forum:

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

I'm worried sick

I was recently in the hospital diagnosed with "CHF" and the Dr. that treated my promised (in writing)
that he had made arrangments for me to see a new Dr. once I was discharged from the hospital.
when I tried to make an appointment with this new Dr. I was denied the appointment for some
logistical reason. when I called the hospital Dr. and explained this to him, I was ignored and blown
off, and now have no Dr. at all, with all the health problems I have. soon my meds will run out and
I will be in real trouble. there is a long story to this, but I couldnt write it all here, but I could e-mail
it upon request. I need to ask a Dr. some key questions...thank you.
Related Discussions
666151 tn?1311117976
My answers here must be 'general' comments, and I can't gather so much information such that you are in essence asking me for direct clinical help-- so I can't accept personal info by e-mail.  As I look at your comments though I would say that the first doctor cannot 'promise' that a second doctor will see you, as the second doctor has no control over the behavior of the people referring to him/her.  It sounds like the typical situation at discharge from a hospital when follow-up appointments are supposedly set up, usually by someone other than the physician (usually a hospital social worker or nurse will set up the follow up appointments).  But if in the meantime something changes, like the person's insurance--  or if the info wasn't collected accurately in the first place-- the follow-up appointment will fall through.

Understand that several people have 'obligations' in such a case, including you.  The doctor who was treating you in the hospital has a duty to hand your care off to someone else;  the duty lies with that doctor though, not with the doctor who he claims 'should' accept you.  If the arrangements your hospital team set up fell through, I would contact the hospital doc and let him/her know that it is 'patient abandonment' to not provide adequate follow-up care for patients at discharge.  

YOU have the duty to do all of this right away, at the first realization that there is a problem.  You cannot wait until the last minute, when meds have run out-  if you have known of the problem for weeks.  So get moving right away;  make phone calls to the hospital social work dept and tell them you are left hanging;  send a certified letter to the doc from the hospital saying that the plans fell through and you are waiting to hear about a different referral option-- since you 'assume' that he/she would not abandon a patient!  If you can't get help, I would consider the hospital quality assurance office, or a patient complaint department, if they have one.  Doctors tend to respond to fear of getting a bad reputation at their admitting hospital.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703