Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Joint and muscle pain and stiffness

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Joint and muscle pain and stiffness

For about a year and a half now I have a lont of joint pain and if I sit at my desk more then 10 15 minutes everything stiffens up, I feel I must look like an 80 year old women getting out of my chair, I am only 41.  I use to walk 2miles in the morning and bike 6 miles at night.  Then, I was 60 pounds lighter, but each morning getting up was more difficult, things ached, so I would skip my walk, more pain I started skipping ridng.  came to the point where I would only walk some times.  I went tot he doctor, he did nlood test, looked at Lyme,  Rheumatoid Arthitis, lupus and something else, I can't recall.  But they all came back fine, so I dropped it.  I have good days and I have bad, lately more bad then good.  Just wondering what else I should be looking for.

Gosh, there are so many different rheumatoid-type or auto-immune-type disorders that I would probably start with an ESR or 'sed rate';  if it is low (normal), than EVERYTHING Iis unlikely;  if it is high, then the search for a cause begins.

I was just speaking with a patient today about how once we pass 30 or so our joints get painful and stiff every time they sit still for too long.  I was explaining to her that it is unreasonable to not exercise at all, and to still expect to feel energetic and 'limber' in the morning.  The simple fact is that the people who are out there walking or jogging or swimming or 'dancercising' every day are not doing it because they 'like it' (although some strange people do like it!), they are doing it because it prevents them from waking up sore and tired.   Yes, things get sore initially, but after exercise is established almost everyone benefits.  

There are many conditions where the cause is aggravated by 'what feels right'--  people feel tired and sore, so they DON'T exercise-- but is a sure way to things getting worse, not better.  If you are able to start slow and get back to a regular exercise routine you will keep the ligaments around your joints more flexible, and they won't stiffen up overnight.