Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Left Buttock Pain

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Left Buttock Pain

I've got IBS but over the last week my left buttock has been very painful. It's hurt to sit and stand, only goes away with hot water bottle and lying down. It also goes down my leg and hurts my toes. What can cause this pain?
What you are describing sounds very much like 'sciatica' , the pain that comes when a nerve root is pinched near where it leave the spine.  This can occur from a disc herniation, spinal stenosis, slippage of one vertebrae upon another... but it likely has nothing to do with IBS.  It may also be something called 'piriformis syndrome' where the sciatic nerve is pinched as it passes through the floor of the pelvis and through the piriformis muscle, but sciatica is more common.  The condition usually resolves over 6-12 months, providing you don't re-injure the area.  People are usually placed on a restriction for lifting weight of around 10-20 pounds until it heals, and you should also avoid bending, but rather raise and lower yourself by bending your knees.
hey doctor can parasitic nematodes cause this as well?
I have SI Joint Dysfunction and these painful symptom and limitations sound very similar to my chronic condition.
In 2004,I had neck surgery C6-7 disc desiccation.Broad-based protruding disc which totally effaces the thecal sac  and causes a reduction in the AP dimension of the spinal cord.Represents severe acquired spinal canal stenosis.The left neural foramen is slightly narrowed from osteophytes.Since my surgery,I've been having sharp burning pain down my arms and legs.My back hurts bad! down the middle I get a burning pain,my lower hurts worse,that is what keeps me from standing or walking at times.My arms swell-up,elbows hurt bad if I try to straight them ,all this happens when I do something for a long period of time.My neck swells up,also. And when I drive it hurts,my neck arms,back and now my ankles hurt.I've always complained about my back.Never my neck! I had a myelogram 2008,C3-4,very minimal central disc bulge.C4-5,central disc herniation which indents the thecal sac with residual sac diameter 9mm.C5-6,minimal degenerative changes.T8-9,small central disc herniation without cord compression is seen minimal indenting the thecal sac,degenerative disc disease with herniation. T9-10, right posterior and latreal disc osteophyte complex seen,somewhat narrowing the right neural foramina without significant cord compression,degenerative disc disease with herniation.L4-5, shows a central and right foraminal disc herniation indenting the thecal sac  and right exiting nerve root,causes moderate central stenosis with residual canal diameter of 7mm.Degenerative disc disease in the lumbar spine.L5-S1,degenerative disc disease with loss of disc height and vacuum phenomenon is evident with likely annular tear and fissure with air seen in the epidural space ,likely represents annular tear with disc herniation adjacent to the left exiting nerve for this level.Minimal vacuum phenomenon seen in the sacroiliac joints bilaterally.Is my pain and symptoms being related to this myelogram?I started with no symptoms before surgery,was my conditions going to happen anyway?Are the symptoms because of what the myelogram showed?I would just like to come to a  reason of why? I'm getting these sharp burning pain and the swelling,on my arms?   THANK YOU !!!  for your time                       P.S.A.A.P.A.B.
A related discussion, left buttock pain - worse during period was started.
A related discussion, Chronic outer thigh pain/weakness was started.