Chronic Pain Expert Forum
New Medication - Side Effects
About This Forum:

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

New Medication - Side Effects

I have recently been switched from Percocet to Opana 10mg every 6 hours.  Since starting Opana about 1 week ago, I have noticed that I have bad gas, my stomach just doesn't feel great, maybe a bit nauseous, and I seem to be a tad constipated.  I am also still experiencing pain.  Will these side effects go away or should I call my Doctor now, versus waiting till my next appointment which is about 3 weeks away?
Related Discussions
666151 tn?1311117976
That is hard to answer without knowing how your relationship is with your doc;  some docs like to know every little thing, and others only want to hear if there is a body part actually falling off- otherwise wait until the appointment!  Those two medications are very similar;  I wonder if the change is because of the oxycodone shortage that was striking much of the country awhile back.  Opana, on a mg to mg basis, is about twice as potent as oxycodone.   Percocet comes in different strengths.  If he moved you from a ten mg percocet to a ten mg opana, he doubled you dose of pain medication, and that will cause bad gas, your stomach won't feel great, you will get a bit nauseous, and you might get a tad constipated.

That's from an old joke-- a real old joke.

But I suspect that is what happened-- he changed you over without cutting the dose of opana in half, and you are having side effects from the higher dose of opana.  If you have a pill cutter you could reduce the dose of opana a bit by cutting it;  it is a rare doc who becomes angry from a patient reducing the dose of narcotic.  The other choice would be to just keep taking it and in a few days you will become tolerant to those side effects.
1 Comment
Blank
1059594 tn?1261327566
A related discussion, Cutting In Half was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...
05/15 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
233488 tn?1310696703