Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Ovarian Cysts? Or something worse??

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Ovarian Cysts? Or something worse??
Hello. I am 31 and a mother of three. I have been having pain in my left lower back for about 4 months. It has come with bouts of nasuea at times, very irregular periods, spotting in between periods, a chronic brown discharge(kind of smelly at times), mood swings, feeling tired all the times, sleepless nights, and there are days when I just cant get enough to drink. I have checked my sugar, it is fine. I have had my tubes tied five years ago with problems with that. In the past week my abdomin has been cramping along with the pain in back. I was on period from march 28th to first of last week with a very light discharge. Does all of this link up to one particular cause or does it sound like I am just a hypochondriac? ( : Thanks
The objective symptoms you mention aren't consistent with just being a hypochondriac; at the same time, I don't know if an ovarian cyst can explain everything.  You could have GYN problems, for example, and also have diverticulitis or kidney stones.  I would think that a medical work-up would provide some answers; you might need imaging studies as well.

As for the mood swings, insomnia, and fatigue...  many medical conditions will give rise to these symptoms, or in other words the symptoms are 'nonspecific'-- those symptoms will appear along with any medical condition that activates an immune response and taxes the body's energy.