Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Pain medicine does not work

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Pain medicine does not work

A few years ago I had acute chronic pancreatitis and multiple organ shut down. The Doctors called a family meeting to tell them I was almost certain to pass away in the next 48 hrs. Obviously I somehow made it but since then I have had Terrible pain in my left abdominal region and for some reason I can't find any medicine that works at all I have tried every opiate from oxycotin  to morphine to the patch and many more and they do nothing at all at any dose.

Before this happened to me things like Tylenol 3 worked fine for wisdom teeth extraction etc.

I have no pancreas now and as a diabetic I take Metformin and Cotizim  I also take medication unrelated to my problem that I have taken for years

My question is, is there an alternative medicine that could work or something I could do to make opiates work I would really really appreciate some help.

Thx in advance.      PS; I have tried acupuncture, meditation and other alternatives with no luck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Friend,
I can't prescribe you much medicines. Am happy to see that you have tried all forms of alternate therapies. What saddens is the fact that none of the medicines are suiting you or providing you with any sort of relief.
I need to know as how long have you continued with pranayam?
Regards
I think after awhile the "Conditioning" you have aquired thru the abuse of "Markers" in taking any of the Opiods ( I did this and on my last round of high doses and just barely take the edge off) Meaning there are things that happen in long term pain relieves such as ours...and I do mean long term, I still don't think it's fine to be in pain for anyone let alone you. NOW have you spoke to a GOOD pain management doctor...I take (also) Cymbalta at 60 Mg and it took some Neuropathy pain away (about 75%) And being we are NOT aware of what's out there, exlain this to a Pain Management team and see what goes...I'm so hurting all the time and still take 80 Mg of codeine to start (Morphine is also a codeine deriritive) And another 30 to 40 Mg after that and sometimes more.
I wish you the best in your serch for the pain relief!
....Anickstairs
These pranayam exercises may help control the pain, and will build up your immune system.Give it a try.
Build up the timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after about a minute.

Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently(once in 2 seconds).

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril
then -keeping the left nostril closed deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30 minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years -  do 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Also everyday, press the centre point of the palm of both your  hands 40 times with the thumb and press the tips of all fingers 40 times each.
To stimulate the organs: mandukasan(not for pregnant women) - kneel down(with feet pointing inwards,and sit on the ankles/heels, Vajrasan position), breathe in and breathe out completely and hold your breath, pull the stomach in, press both your  hands on stomach, bend forward as much as possible keeping the head straight, hold for 5 to 15 seconds and come back up while breathing in.Do this asan 3 times daily before meals, to stimulate the organs.Mandukasan2 - Repeat the whole process(mandukasan) 3 times,but this time with with fists of both hands pressing against the stomach(by the navel).Mandukasan can be done sitting on a chair, if you cannot bend the legs.This asan should be done before meals.
Anackstairs, thank you very much for the response. I do have a good pain specialist and it is still difficult to understand I have tried many meeds under the Cymbalta umbrella to no avail.

Again, I thank you for your response
Hava, thanks for the input. In my note I had mentioned "other alternative' methods. Over time I have tried a few breathing techniques including Pranayam with no positive reresults

Your response was very detailed and I thank you for that
Good day yo you,

I have tried pranayam for about six weeks with the aid of a person who has experience with this method. Unfortunatley no positive results. I am currently trying to find out how this happened to me with the hopes that the answer may provide a direction for me to go.
In the meantime I am not having any success through my pain specialist finding  anything that would help to take my mind off the pain.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond
Regards
It is important to continue pranayam at the maximum duration (timing) stated for over 4 to 6 months to start to notice benefits, and then continue daily for life, at the lower timing. It works gradually, to fix the body systems.
I also have chronic pancreatitis, I was diagnosed in 05 when I was 25yr old..I have had several surgeries and only have less then half my pancreas. I don't where your located but I'm in rhode island and could give you some great docs between me an massachusetts. Have you tried medical marijuanna? Its all natural and not like the pain meds they give us my email is ***@****
I am also a diabetic and wonde if the Metformin is the root cause of the pain. I had to quit taking Metformin because the side effects were just too much to handle.
A related discussion, To: tlkgt76 was started.
A related discussion, Bad Pain my medicine quit working HELP !!!!! was started.
Hi,I know what you are going thought I have chronic pancreatitis and Im in the same boat but I do still have my pancreatitis, but they want me to have it  takeing out but I will not let them .. So I will live with the pain ... Good luck god blessed you and your family
A related discussion, Addiction to prescription drugs was started.