Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Pain under right rib cage

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Pain under right rib cage

I have had pain under my right rib cage for about a year now. It feels like pressure and it hurts terribly. In the morning it is okay and as the day goes by it gets worse. I get some relief when I am lying down. I have had 2 CT scans, a mammogram, a bone scan, colonoscopy, endoscopy, chest x-ray, 3 abdominal ultrasounds and a HIDA scan which checks for gallbladder function. In August, I had a 15cm borderline malignant ovarian tumor removed along with my right ovary and I thought the pain would go away and it did for about 3 weeks and now it has been back for 5 months. Any advice?  Now I also have this "pinching pain" kind of twinging in my upper right abdomen that happens every 5 or 10 minutes
Tags: pinching
Nothing springs to mind;  I would want to approach things systematically by trying to rule out pain in the body wall vs pain from the viscera;  this can sometimes be done by doing blocks of the 'intercostal nerves' that run under each rib.

I am wondering if you are heavy-set, given that an ovarian tumor wasn't found until it was that large--  if that is the case it makes doing blocks much more difficult, if not impossible.  But that is only a diagnostic technique anyway;  it wouldn't provide longstanding relief.

If you had any surgery before the ovary surgery it is possible that the pain is from adhesions;  even without prior surgery perhaps there is inflammation at the ligament that holds the liver in place-- that would explain the benefit of laying down. But again, it doesn't point toward a 'cure'.

I would stick to the basics; do what you can to improve every aspect of your health, and sometimes pains spontaneously go away.  I'm sorry I don't have more to suggest.
is it return of the ovarian ca?
No I have had this pain for about 8 months before I had the ovarian tumor.
I have pain under my right rib cage close to middle part of my stomach. It started two years ago. And I am female 19 years old and weigh 96lbs - 100. So, I'm not sure what is wrong. And yes I went to a doctor and he press down on the middle part and I really felt bad sharp pain there. It also still hurts now. What you might think it is?