Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Scolliosis

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Scolliosis

I was diagnosed with scolliosis about a year ago.  I had an MRI because I had been suffering with severe pain in my lower back that extended to the rest of my body(legs,neck).  When the results came in I was told this was the cause for my pain but that it was not a prominent curviture.  I asked for more information on this, but the doctor told me to look it up in the internet.  Not much help there.  Since then I struggle with the pain anytime I do more than the usual on any day, I have trouble even walking. I am only 28 and feel like an elderly woman.  I can't even jump rope with my 8 year old daughter.  I joined the gym two days ago.  I worked out for one hour.  I felt great until later that night.  For two days I have been laying in  bed with excruciating pain.  My husband says it's because I hade not exercised for a while and that later I'll get used to exercise.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or if it is due to my spine?  Are there any exercises I should NOT do?  Please help.  No one has given me the answers.& I want to know what I can and can't do with scolliosis.
There is a very wide range of severity with scoliosis;  in severe cases it can cause compression of the lungs to such an extent that the person is severely disabled.  The delay in your diagnosis suggests that it is more mild;  in most states girls are screened for scoliosis at regular intervals during check-ups or in the schools.

I tend to agree with your husband on this one, although we cannot rule out some type of nerve irritation as a consequence of the scoliosis. The best way to avoid a repeat of what happened is to start much, much more slowly.  During the first few weeks you should be spending at least as much time stretchiing as you are exercising-- stretching both before and after the exercise routine.  You should avoid doing anything real strenuous until your muscles and heart have had some time to build up some exercise tolerance.  

If the pain persists, even when you are taking time to stretch things out and reduce the intensity of the workouts, you might want to see a 'physiatrist';  those are the specialists-- also called 'rehab docs'-- that help indentify the chronic aches and pains that limit activity.