Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Severe knee injury

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Severe knee injury

On monday I smacked my knee extremely hard into the mule post  at the bottom of the stairs the pain was extremely bad, i've been limping ever since the knee looks deformed there was a massive purple bruise which has now gone down. There is still swelling on the knee cap and the leg feels numb yet painful and tingly to the toes. It's my right leg so it's my main leg and I don't know what to do. I can move my leg but its really painful. if i touch the knee is tender and if i move my fingers on it the knee feels like it's jarring. Nothing seems like a comfortable position. All it's doing is getting worse since thursday when I tried  to go for a driving lesson. I don't know what it is or what I should do I need help asap. A doctor said a ligament tear or a fracture but I'm not sure. When I straighten my leg my knee cracks and it hurts really really bad. Can anyone help?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hii Friend,
How are you.
If the knee is still hurting, then the only way out is to get an X-Ray done and then plan accordingly.
You may / may-not  have a fracture. So once the X-Ray reports are out, we can plan further.
Meanwhile avoid doing much of knee movements and give it a rest.
Regards.
Should I understand that you HAVE been to a Dr. and he said it was a torn ligament?  'Cause that would explain the bruising and the crackling knee bend (that's probably bone against bone sound).  That's surgery, dear.  And asap.  Especially if it bruised, swelled and then went down; see, that tells me the "bruise" went onto the bone ('cause the ligament wasn't there anymore), and you DO NOT want to let that go for too long.  Go get an MRI on the knee, stay off of it and use crutches when you do 'til you can get some help.  If you can make it, just get an appt with an orthopeadic or sports medicine-type Dr.  If it REALLY hurts, hell, I'd go to the ER...it'll be fine, this happens ALL THE TIME...it'll suck for about 6-8 weeks and then better than it was...
You "futbol" folks get this all the time, right?  Or is that Australia/New Zealand?  You'll be fine, karlie, just do it...
:) :) :) :) :)
GilT
Hey, dear!  So, how ARE you doin'?  Let us know.  I would hope that's the way these Forums work...maybe your experience/success will help someone else!  Hope you take/took Jyoti's advice, as she sounds like a Doctor or something...