Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Severe pain in base of skull

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Severe pain in base of skull
I have had severe pain / soreness on the right side of the base of my skull for over 2 weeks now.  What could this be?  I am 46 year old female, no other symptoms as I am aware.  
LIke the last question, this is a bit outside of the realm of 'chronic pain'.  There are many things that could cause this type of pain, ranging from minor to more serious conditions.  I would think that a strained muscle in that area is the most likely cause;  there  are several muscles that attach to the base of the skull, and inflammation at any of the attachment sites at the skull could cause pain in that location.  The pain, in such a case, would be strongly effected by any movements of the head in any direction.