Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Squeezing pain around right rib cage
About This Forum:

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Squeezing pain around right rib cage

I have had a squeezing sensation around my right rib cage for many, many years.  It feels like a rubber band that keeps squeezing.  The sensation is worse if my back is leaning against something, such as sitting in a car seat or an airplane, and when I'm lying in bed at night.  At times it becomes extremely uncomfortable.  I avoid leaning my back against anything as much as possible.  The squeezing is predominantly on the right side, but I have also felt ithe squeezing on the left side as well.  I have no problems with physical activity and I enjoy walking, biking, doing yard work, etc.  I have never had any problems breathing, such as feeling any shortness of breath in spite of the squeezing sensation.  In the morning I'm generally fine until I get in the car to drive to work and then because my back is against the car seat the squeezing sensation starts and stays with me for the rest of the day to varying degrees, depending on what I'm doing (sitting in a chair, walking).  I avoid pressing my back against anything as much as I possibly can.  I am in very good health otherwise.  I saw a physiatrist who tried very hard to help me for well over a year, but he could not pinpoint a specific cause or reason for the squeezing pain.  I have had numerous injections, tests such as chest x-rays, scans, I've tried different medications, etc.  Strangely, if I press my right hand against on my right rib cage it provides some relief to the squeezing sensation.  I'm in search of an answer to this mystery, as it seems I'm destined to continue to try to cope with this to the best of my ability for the rest of my life.  I'm an active 57 year old who works full time.