Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Still really worried about Mid chest and back pain

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

My Echo-Cardiogram was normal, as was the nuclear heart stress test, so I am not worried about heart disease and no other tests are scheduled for my mid chest and back pain & tight breathing sensations. Unfortunately the way I am wired and despite the tests Inc. CT body scan, bone scan, thoracic MRI gastrocopy, extensive blood work etc I am still really worried about my chest/back pain being cancer. What do you think Dr Junig? My Dr. and Psychiatrist who I just started seeing both don't think I have cancer and that it its extreme anxiety, fixation on cancer/pain, hypochonriosis & psycho somatic type pain.

I have started Cymbalta 60mg & have been on it for a week. When I take Clonazepam it seems to reduce the chest/back pain, not sure why as it is not a pain killer? The Cymbalta is causing a couple of side effects including tingling sensations in my head & limbs & I feel more panicky/nervous.

I am curious if you think I might benefit  from a chest MRI, would it look at more than the Chest CT scan?  Curious as to what are your thoughts on that and are there any other diagnostic tests you think I might benefit from to assess my mid-chest and back pain and the tight chest sensations I get?  

My family Dr. said that SSRI/SNRI medication adjustment can be tough and cause some side effects but should settle down within a couple of weeks and he says there is no way I should worry about cancer causing my pain as I have had an extremely thorough diagnostic/blood workup and I need to let go of the cancer fears despite the pain I am in and he feels that I do not require a chest MRI, as I had the chest and abdominal CT scan, which he says is very detailed, chest x ray bone scan, Gastrocopy and many other tests. I wish I wasn't still so anxious and worried about cancer, but the pain sets me off and makes me think cancer. Amy suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

I agree with the other doctors you have seen;  your problem at this point is the fear itself, to paraphrase history.  You may need psychotherapy to really get past the fears, they seem to be so severe-- ask your psychiatrist if he does CBT or if he can refer you for CBT, a type of therapy that is geared toward changing specific thoughts.  Your fears may be hypochondriasis, or may even be a phobia of sorts.  Medication is safe and usually helps, but the best results for severe anxiety often require pushing the doses up fairly high. There is NO danger from doing so, but somtimes a person can have side effects, like temporary agitation or nausea.
1 Comment
im a 40 years old woman ihave been havingg pains in my chest between my shoulder blades the upper part of my breasts i have been cheacked for breast cancer i have had my heart cheacked echo gram radio active stress test that scans your heart also running machine stress tesr ecg blood tests all fine and clear still getting pains i have also had chest xray it hurts to breath in and out i also get tingling in my tounge have the tests missed any thing with my heart or am i mad the pain is there belive me thanks any help would be good