Chronic Pain Expert Forum
Testicular and lower abdominal pain

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Testicular and lower abdominal pain

I am experiencing pain in my right testicle and also in the lower abdomin (abdomen) on the same side.  This testicle also hangs higher than my left.  It always has.  I've checked myself for lumps and don't find any.  I've thought that I might have a hernia but there is no bulg anywhere.  It seems like my testicle may be twisted because it dosent' sit in my scrotum at the same angle as my other testicle.  
You cannot really check yourself for a hernia;  it takes a bit of skill to find a small one, and a small hernia is actually more dangerous than a large one, as things can get pinched and blood supply can get blocked.

Testicular torsion, or a 'twisted testicle', is a surgical emergency.  You may have a small amount of torsion that is interfering with blood flow to the testicle;  you need to see a doctor, preferably a urologist, to help you sort out what is going on.  If you have a partial torsion and it turns a bit more, you can quickly lose the testicle... leading to sterility if it happens at some point on the other side.