Chronic Pain Expert Forum
i have strange cracking and popping sounds in my upper spinal area when...

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

i have strange cracking and popping sounds in my upper spinal area when i inhale

since i graduated boot (4 years) ago, i've had this strange chronic problem with my back. usually when I'm in a comfortable state (like laying on my side or in bed, or sitting in a chair) it happens the most. i go to inhale deeply or just normally and towards the center of my upper back i hear AND feel this crack,crack, pop noise, anyone close enough to my back can hear and feel this also.It usually doesn't hurt bad but it can be annoying at night while trying to sleep. to add, i DO have a slight curve in that region of my back also. could the scoliosis be the reason behind this agitating cracking and popping sounds? i appreciate any responses Doc's.  
This is a tough one.  I'm trying to think of what changes during a deep breath--  the intercostal muscles between the ribs relax, the diaphragm pushes downward, other longer muscles that attach to the ribs pull the ribcage upward and pulls the ribs apart a bit;  the ribs move slightly where they attach to the spine... but I can't see any of this causing a popping sound.  I'm wondering if the sounds are coming from the inflation of your lungs;  during certain postures, some parts of the lungs collapse and contain no air, and only with a deep breath do they fill up and inflate.  As they fill, the closed passageways and alveoli 'pop' open... maybe that is what you are hearing.

At first I though maybe you had a leak in your lung, and the popping we from air passing through the tissue, but that would go on for four months, let alone four years

I'm sorry-- maybe someone else will chip in with an idea!
1 Comment
A related discussion, A strange sound when inhaling deeply was started.
A related discussion, CRACKING OR POPPING SOUND FROM UPPER BACK was started.
A related discussion, back  and spine cracking sound was started.