Chronic Pain Expert Forum
question about my cancer fears

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

question about my cancer fears

Hi Dr Junig

So you think that I do not need anymore diagnostic tests and you also I should not worry about having cancer and move on to meds and CBT? I will ask my psyciatrist about CBT.

Would there be any advantage to a chest MRI over a chest CT? My Dr said between the bone scan, gastrocopy, heart tests and body CT it would have picked up any potential cancer causing my mid chest and back pain and that chest MRI's aren't usually done any more and that i dont need it because I have been very thoroughly tested.  
Hi Mark,

It is time to move beyond the testing.  I don't know if I have even seen a chest MRI before;  the CT always seems to be good enough to provide whatever info is needed in that area.  But it is clear that the focus on cancer is unreasonable, and likely coming from some unconscious fears... a good therapist should be able to help you.  I would also get you on a high dose of an SSRI or SNRI-- like 80 mg of prozac, if you tolerate it, as that is the treatment of choice for obsessions and compulsions.

Your symptoms could be treated as obsessions, or as a phobia;  in either case a combination of medication and psychotherapy should be helpful.  It is important though that you allow the changes to occur;  you will want to recognize how these fears have interfered with your life, and find the true desire to move beyond them.