Chronic Pain Expert Forum
skin sensitivity
About This Forum:

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

skin sensitivity

i have been having pain on my back and sides and arms. only when someone touches me. even just a little pressure can set it off. it hurts for about 1-2 min. and it's usually a sharp stinging pain. it's not all the time but has been going on for a few months.
666151_tn?1311117976
The term for what you are describing is 'allodynia';  it can be part of the symptom complex in fibromyalgia; it can be a symptom of post-herpetic neuralgia, the pain that occurs during and after shingles; it can be a symptom of a 'neuropathy'-- i.e. a condition that causes the degeneration of nerves.    Your specific symptom is also called 'tactile allodynia', and you will find everything from info to support groups if you search using the term on the internet.  There are several medications that can help;  the sodium channel blockers, e.g. mexilitene or local anesthetics e.g. lidocaine in particular.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank