Chronic Pain Expert Forum
weird ankle pain
About This Forum:

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

weird ankle pain

for about 3 to 4 months now, i've had one of the most absurd pains in my ankle. usually, it comes from when i am in the middle of a bowel-movement, and the pain will shoot through my ankle... as weird as this sounds, it also happens when i release gas.... (FART). and if i try to hold this (gas) back the pain grows even stronger in my ankle. is it possible a nerve may be pinched or gas is released throughout my ankle?? i dont know doc, but i'd sure be happy if you could shed some light on this.
Related Discussions
666151_tn?1311117976
I presume that you have a disc herniation at the low lumbar level, and when you raise your intra-thoracic pressure, say by 'bearing down', you cause the disc to bulge and push against the nerve root that provides fibers to your ankle.  I can't see any other connection!  Try to avoid closing off your 'glottis'-- try to avoid straining in a way that makes your face turn read-- and if the pain goes away that suggests a disc is bulging in the lumbar area.  Those injuries tend to go away by themselves-- eventually, say after 6-10 months.  Avoid heaving lifting, and if you see a doc, consider having an MRI of the lumbar spine.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, 4-5 years chronic shoulder pain was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank