Chronic Pain Expert Forum
weird ankle pain

Questions in the Chronic Pain forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

weird ankle pain

for about 3 to 4 months now, i've had one of the most absurd pains in my ankle. usually, it comes from when i am in the middle of a bowel-movement, and the pain will shoot through my ankle... as weird as this sounds, it also happens when i release gas.... (FART). and if i try to hold this (gas) back the pain grows even stronger in my ankle. is it possible a nerve may be pinched or gas is released throughout my ankle?? i dont know doc, but i'd sure be happy if you could shed some light on this.
I presume that you have a disc herniation at the low lumbar level, and when you raise your intra-thoracic pressure, say by 'bearing down', you cause the disc to bulge and push against the nerve root that provides fibers to your ankle.  I can't see any other connection!  Try to avoid closing off your 'glottis'-- try to avoid straining in a way that makes your face turn read-- and if the pain goes away that suggests a disc is bulging in the lumbar area.  Those injuries tend to go away by themselves-- eventually, say after 6-10 months.  Avoid heaving lifting, and if you see a doc, consider having an MRI of the lumbar spine.
1 Comment
A related discussion, 4-5 years chronic shoulder pain was started.