Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Abnormal LFTs and Lipid Profile

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Abnormal LFTs and Lipid Profile

I am 24 years old male and due to alot of study and now at my job I have been unable to do exercise properly.
My weight is 77kg and height is 5ft 7inch. BMI = 26.9

Some of my family members felt I my color has faded yellow so I did the below blood tests:
----------------------------
Liver Function Test:
----------------------------
Total Bilirubin                    :    2.6 mg/dL   Normal : 0.2 to 1.1
SGOT (AST)                     :    55 IU/L        Normal : 9 to 40
SGPT (ALT)                      :    115 IU/L      Normal : 5 to 50
Alkaline Phosphate            :    117 IU/L      Normal : 40 to 140
===============

-----------------------------
Lipid Profile:
-----------------------------
Total Cholestrol              :  201 mg/dL       Normal : upto 200
Triglycerides                  :  167 mg/dL       Normal : 150 to 200
HDL                              :  36                   Normal : more than 36
LDL                               :  132                 Normal :less than 150
===============

I am also a smoker, now I am worried will these effect my body badly. One more thing I have been not been much in sunlight since the past 2 months, as I have night shifts and evening shifts and sleep during the day.

What can I do to normalize these values, and will weight loss be a major factor.
What diet would you suggest and should I use any medication or rely on the diet.
Hello and Welcome to MedHelp!

I am more concerned with your liver function results more than weight loss. Being overweight can certainly lead to liver disease but 170lbs. at 5’7” does sound like enough to have your liver so irritated. I think it’s likely there is something else going on. What prompted you to test your liver function?  Two most common causes of liver disease are Hepatitis and alcoholism although there are many other causes.

This is not something you should wait to have evaluated. Every year, about 29,000 people in the U.S. die from cirrhosis, mainly due to alcoholic liver disease and chronic hepatitis C. The disease cannot be reversed or cured except, in some cases, through a liver transplant. It can often be slowed or halted, however, especially if the disease is detected in the early stages of development. Patients who think they might have cirrhosis should see a doctor without delay.

Randy
Dear Mr. Randy,

Well I have been suffering from fatty liver since 6 to 7 years now. And in winters these levels really rise might be due to less intake of fluids. I normally do get a LFT test in every winter. This time I went home after a month and my mother told me my color was sort of yellow also my fiance (who's also a doctor) also insisted so I did these tests.

One more thing, I have never taken Alcohol, so I guess that's not the reason here. I have seen many doctors now and than, mostly come up with the reason of high cholesterol and fatty liver and advice me to loose weight.

Now I am trying to loose weight, I am taking plenty of fluids like water, fresh orange juice and carrot juice. I walk atleast 7 to 10 kilometers a day also. I am taking very less solid food and rarely take any sort of meat. I also try to avoid white bread. I am also trying to quit smoking my chewing a mint gum instead which keeps me busy.

My real question is what sort of doctor should I consult because I am fed up of going to doctors and following long prescriptions with no effective results.

I am glad to hear you are trying to stay on top of this. I see you are in Pakistan so I don't know how the medical field works over there but here in the states your next step needs to be to see a hepatologist (liver specialist). A hepatologist is the only type of doctor qualified enough to treat you. From there he/she can get you on the right track to figuring this out. Maybe even point you in the direction of a nutritionist if necessary.

Your fiancé being a doctor probably already understands that jaundice is a very serious indication of poor liver function. Your ALT/AST support the idea that something is irritating your liver.

Here is some information about non-alcoholic liver disease:
"Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs when your liver has trouble breaking down fats, causing fat to build up in your liver tissue. Doctors aren't sure what causes this. The wide range of diseases and conditions linked to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is so diverse that it's difficult to pinpoint any one cause.

Types of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease can take several forms — from harmless to life-threatening. Forms include:
Nonalcoholic fatty liver. It's not normal for fat to build up in your liver, but it won't necessarily hurt you. In its simplest form, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease can cause excess liver fat, but no complications. This condition is thought to be very common.
Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. In a small number of people with fatty liver, the fat causes inflammation in the liver. This can impair the liver's ability to function and lead to complications.
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease-associated cirrhosis. Liver inflammation leads to scarring of the liver tissue. With time, scarring can become so severe that the liver no longer functions adequately (liver failure)."

A wide range of diseases and conditions can increase your risk of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, including:
Certain medications
Gastric bypass surgery
High cholesterol
High levels of triglycerides in the blood
Malnutrition
Metabolic syndrome
Obesity
Rapid weight loss
Toxins and chemicals, such as pesticides
Type 2 diabetes
Wilson's disease

6 to 7 years is a long time, what type of doctor diagnosed you and what testing was involved to make the diagnosis? Are you having routine ultra sounds to monitor any advancement? Lab work once a year is hardly adequate for a person with liver disease.

Randy
Also what are the prescriptions for?