Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
An advances on the horizon??

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

An advances on the horizon??

I don't recall seeing this topic discussed on this board, so here goes:
Mainly for those who interact often w/hepatologists -
Does anyone have a gauge for the realistic status of stem cells as a potential future treatment for liver disease?  Does anyone sense any optimism within the medical community for such a development...in either the near or the distant future??  Ether with stem cells - or with anything else that may be on the horizon.  So much progress is being made with treating hepatitis, and while I understand that cirrhosis presents a much different set of challenges I still nonetheless wonder if perhaps anyone has ever had such a conversation w/their liver doctor?
Stem cells treatment are a long way off.

The hepatology community is focused on the new non-interferon treatments for hepatitis C as the majority of patients needing a liver transplant in the US is due to hepatitis C. That is where we will see the most advances in the next years and in time a vaccine. The focus of the hepatologist community can be seen at AASLD and EASL meetings over the past number of years since the first direct acting antivirals were introduced.

Hector
Thanks Hector - that's rather what I thought to be the case, and I'm grateful for your confirmation!