Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Anyone been on Prevpac for H Pylori?

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Anyone been on Prevpac for H Pylori?

Hi everyone,

My mom was recently diagnosed with Hep C associated cirrhosis. She has had some complications, including esophageal varices and ascites. She remains fairly well compensated and does not exhibit symptoms such as fatigue  or confusion.
During an endoscopy her doctor also noticed an ulcer and tested her for H pylori (which was positive). He's prescribed Prevpac to kill the bacteria and heal the ulcer. I've heard Prevpac (which is a combination of 2 antibiotics amoxicillin and clarithromycin  + an antiacid medicine) has some nasty side effects...Has anyone been on it? If so, what was your experience like? She is apprehensive about taking antibiotics, but her doctor wants her to heal the ulcer (which is sizable).
Hi sorry you have not gotten an answer yet, someone will probably be along.  I understand your Mom's fear of taking any antibiotic as some are bad for the liver and others worse.
Did the doctor know she had cirrhosis?  If he did perhaps he felt the benefits out weighed the risk.
If I were you I would do a search for the two; the antibiotic with cirrhosis to see what it says.
I hope you find your answer
Dee
Hi I just did a search and found this site, I hope it helps you and your Mom

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/helicobacter-pylori/T6VP6A9Q0IUQVL2U1/p15
Thanks, Dee!
You are welcome. I hope that you can find some help with your Mom's problem.  I am sorry I don't know more.  Others may stop.  It is almost funny, I recently asked a similar question about taking antibiotics with cirrhosis.
I did find out that the penicillin family is the easiest on the liver.
I have never heard of the type your Mom is on
Again, good luck
Sorry I don’t have any experience with Prevpac but here is a little information I found that I hope can help.
This is a page I found that very well explains H pylori:
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/h-pylori-helicobacter-pylori

What is Prevpac?

Drug Name: LANSOP/AMOX/CLARITHRO ORAL

Other Brand Names: Prevpac

Uses: This product is used to treat stomach/intestinal ulcers caused by the bacteria H. pylori and to prevent the ulcers from returning. Treating an ulcer reduces the risk of serious damage to the lining of the stomach/intestines (such as bleeding, tearing, blockage). Lansoprazole is known as a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It works by blocking acid production in the stomach. Decreasing excess stomach acid can help the ulcer heal. Amoxicillin and clarithromycin are antibiotics used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections (including H. pylori). Treating the infection helps reduce the risk of the ulcer returning. Amoxicillin is a penicillin-type antibiotic and clarithromycin is a macrolide-type antibiotic. They work by stopping the growth of bacteria. The antibiotics in this product treat only bacterial infections.

I can understand why your mom is skeptical but this is a very serious condition that must be addressed right away. If left untreated serious life threatening conditions can develop. As with any medications prescription or OTC she should always consult her hepatologist before taking them.

Randy
Randy thank you for your information to help. I saw that it was 3 antibiotics.
I feel so bad for her Mom, what a choice to make