Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Cirrhosis and fliud in the leg

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Cirrhosis and fliud in the leg

Hello, My mom was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis and has been in and out of the hospital  6yrs now..... at this stage fluid has built up in her belly and in one leg with blisters (she is in the hospital right now) they are giving her medication and anitbiotic to dry up the infection in the leg... but it is taking long to "dry up"... they are considering amputation...has anyone gone through this? She has been in the hospital 5days now (she is not diabetic)
Hi there,welcome. This is a slower forum than others. But hang on someone should come by and help you out. I'm sorry to hear this. Hope your holding up, never easy having a loved one in the hospital. With mystery stuff it's never good either.  Best wishes to you and your mom!!
Sorry, I don't know enough about this to answer. I am assuming that with the edema, fluid retention, her circulation is poor. Does she have an infection in her leg as well?
Hopefully they have her on a diuretic and a reduced sodium diet.
Advocate1955
Sorry, I re-read and see that she has an infection and is being treated with antibiotics. The underlying problem, I think, is the edema. It causes poor circulation, which makes it hard for wounds to heal, and hard to clear infections.
Ck out this site before they do anything to your mom. Neuro care ask for a man name John and tell them what is going on. The machine may save her leg.They have all information about saving peoples legs. Nuerocare100xp is the name of the machine. It help my dads infections on his legs after the drs did 5 skins grafts to close up his sores and infections. Good luck
If your mother has cirrhosis of the liver, fluid build up in her lower legs and infections can be a common and life threatening complication of cirrhosis. She needs to under the care of a liver transplant center. Unfortunately there may not be one in T&T, if that is where she lives.
Is there anyway she can get care from a liver treatment center?

Cirrhosis is a progressive liver disease and needs to be treated very seriously. Here in the US she would be cared for at a liver transplant center. She is need of a liver transplant as her liver appears to be too damaged to keep her well. I am not a doctor so I can't tell you what to do, but if she was my mom I would try to get the best care that is available to her.

At least she should be under the care of a gastroenterologist (digestive system specialist) who understands it is her liver disease that is causing The fluid buildup and the resulting infections.

I wish I could be of more help but I don't know of any other medical resources for persons with advanced liver disease available in Trinidad & Tabago.

I wish you and your mother the best.
Hector
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ascites (fluid build in the abdomen) and edema of the lower legs is the most common major complication of cirrhosis and is an important landmark in the natural history of chronic liver disease.

Treatment:

Patients with ascites who are thought to have an alcohol component to their liver injury should abstain from all alcohol consumption.

First-line treatment of patients with cirrhosis and ascites consists of sodium restriction (88 mmol/ day [2000 mg/day]) and diuretics (oral Spironolactone with or without oral Furosemide).
The usual starting doses of diuretics are 100 mg of spironolactone and 40 mg furosemide. Doses can be changed up to a maximum of 400 mg of spironolactone and 160 mg of furosemide. A ratio of 100:40.

An initial therapeutic abdominal paracentesis (taping the fluid with a needle to look for infection in the fluid) should be performed in patients with massive ascites.

Patients with ascites admitted to the hospital should undergo abdominal paracentesis. Paracentesis should be repeated in patients (whether in the hospital or not) who develop signs or symptoms or laboratory abnormalities suggestive of infection (e.g., abdominal pain or tenderness, fever,  encephalopathy(mental effects of liver disease), kidney failure, acidosis, or peripheral leukocytosis).