Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Cirrhosis of Liver to my mother

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Cirrhosis of Liver to my mother

Dear All,

Need your valuable suggestion in regard to my mother's Cirrhosis of Liver
Here is my mother's detail condition.

My mother (age 63) has Arthritis / Knee pains for which she is taking Calcium tables, Glucosamnine tablets, neuroking plus ( for Nerves)  and Ayurvedic medication from almost 4 years. Last Month (September 2nd), she is diagnosed with Jaundice (Serum Bilirubin content at 8). She stopped taking medicines for Knee pains as local doctor suggested to do so. Later we went to Gastro Enterologist. He prescribed Total Health Checkup and We had a Serum Bilirubin test done again, which showed reading as 14. Basing on the TOTAL HEALTH CHEKUP reports doctor informed me that it might be Chronic Liver disease. Provided some medicines and request to come back after 15 days.

By this time, my mom became very weak. Her knee pain started to worry her and not able to stand and walk as knee is hurting her a lot. It started at left leg and passed to right leg. Both legs swelled a lot.... We took her to hospital for check up and admitted in hospital.

Doctor conducted tests such as
1. Liver Function test
2. complete Blood Picture
3. Endoscopy
4. Potassium/Sodium
5. Hepatitis A,B,and C-- result negative
6. AntiNuclear Antibody (ANA)-- result negative
7. ultra sound of abdomen and found ascitic fluid in abdomen, also ruptured liver external texture, on which he commented as Liver Cirrhosis and mentioned that it should be correlated with the patient condition.

Doctor mentioned that it is Cirrhosis, as My mother has
a. Ruptured liver texture
b. Loss of apetite
c. Fluid retention in Abdomen
d. Fluid retention in legs
5. Jaundice (Serum Bilirubin)

Also he mentioned that all these symptoms belongs to Liver Cirrhosis 3rd stage, still in Compensated stage.

Now, Since Liver is not functioning properly as still Jaundice is there, Doctor suggest that there cannot be any medication given and we have to wait and watch how liver behaves from now on. Can be Autoimmune Hepatitis which lead to Cirrhosis..

But for my mother's knee pain, they suggested that pain killers can not be given as they can harm the liver further. And there is not alternate to this other than to suffer till we confirm Liver is working normally (in observation for 3 months) and then can think about using some mild medication to treat the knee pains.

The newly added symptom is vaginal bleeding. Is this critical? Is the situation out of our hands...?

Regards
Srikar.S
It sounds like your mother has decompensted cirrhosis.In  her condition she should see a hepatologist, liver specialist at a liver transplant center. They have more training about liver disease than do the GIs.

Her liver is in bad shape and the suggestion by plutoo is not going to help your mother. She needs to see a specialist as soon as possible.