Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Fatty Liver, worried.

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Fatty Liver, worried.

For about two years I have struggled with a strong case of health anxiety. I got a degree in rehabilitation and sometimes the classes we take tend to inform you about all the bad diseases that can plague your body. I tend to worry about this a lot. Last July while in NYC after eating a greasy meal I got a bad pain on the right upper quadrant of my stomach. My PCP thought it was gallstones so he had an ultrasound of my abdomen ordered.

In turn the technician who completely violated his duties went on to tell me the results and that in fact I did NOT have gallstones but a swollen liver and that I should go to the doctor immediately. Mind you this was on a Saturday. I was frantic, afraid and uneasy. When I got to my doctor on Monday he told me it was just fatty liver. The actual Recommendations from the ultrasound said, "Fatty liver with prominent portal triad markings...hepatitis possible, clinical correlation recommended" Of course with the knowledge I had my health anxiety began to sky rocket. My doctor said just to diet and all would be ok.

The hepatitis aspect of it frightens me horribly. I do have 3 small tattoos that I got in my college years. The last about 4 years ago. I began thinking maybe it was hepatitis. Since August and even before then my doctor has ran tons of blood tests. CBC, platelets, hepatic panel, etc. The rational mind would say they would have caught hepatitis by now but the anxious side of me says that maybe they missed something. Is this possible? Is it possible that they could have done sooooo many blood tests and missed hepatitis? If it was Hep C would I be showing symptoms already? (jaundice, etc) I am so worried. I am only 24 and don't have time to be worried about health issues. Just finished school and at the top of my career. I would appreciate some sincere help. Maybe somebody can interpret those ultrasound results better for me.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Also, I have been on birth control pills for 10 years now could that be correlated to the fatty liver. I had heard about this before. I have STOPPED taking them, begin working out and eating better and am wondering if that was the cause how long before my liver begins to heal.

I am 24, about 5'2 and weight 157lbs overweight I know but I thought my liver would be doing better
"Hepatitis" is defined as liver inflammation and is characterized by inflammation of the cells of the liver. It is a broad term to describe liver inflammation irrespective of the underlying cause - it could be from alcohol abuse, drug toxicity, viral hepatitis (Hep A, B, C etc) autoimmune disorders or whatever. So the reference to "hepatitis" in your ultrasound report may not be suggestive of or in reference to viral hepatitis.

The way to rule out viral hepatitis is to get tested. Generally they'll start with antibody tests and if any come back positive further tests will be ordered.

I think you should ask your doctor to order the appropriate tests and in the meantime relax. Hep C - which I doubt you have - is a very slow moving disease and it is nothing to panic about. I'm not trying to say that it's a fun thing to have but it can be treated and cured and usually it takes a couple of decades before any significant damage is done

Good luck,
Mike
I appreciate all your help!!!! You made me feel so much better! I guess since I feel pain from the fatty liver it makes me believe I have hepatitis.
I think this all stems from an experience last October. My aunt died of Cirrhosis of the liver but she was a drinker since she was 13 and died at 52.

I'm doing everything I can to help my liver. I've changed my diet, stopped birth control pills, and began working out and have already lost a little weight.

I do have an appt. August 12th with my PCP for a 3 month follow up from May where he ran a CBC blood test and a Hepatic Liver Panel. He said he would call if he found anything wrong if not to follow up with him in three months. NO CALL! No news means good I guess. So I will do what you say, relax and wait until I see him in August to run a Hep C test just to put my mind at ease!

Mike I'm not sure who you are but I appreciate all your help!

Lynn