Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
GGT?

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

GGT?

What can anyone tell me about GGT as a marker for alcoholic cirrhosis? Among those who have posted lab results online their GGT seems to be consistently elevated, even during the first few months after cessation of alcohol intake. All that I've read to date seems to suggest that alcoholic liver disease, alcohol-induced cirrhosis in particular, is always accompanied by an elevation of GGT, even in cases where AST and ALT remain normal. Indeed the indication is that GGT is even more specific to liver injury than AST, ALT, etc. We've all learned that there are few if any 'always' scenarios, especially insofar as health matters are concerned, but can anyone comment on this subject? Has anyone had a normal GGT with their cirrhosis diagnosis (which presumably is at least theoretically possible)? Or a GGT that eventually normalized after a period of abstinence and improving health?
One blood level can't not be used to diagnose anything many blood levels related to the injury to the liver or poor function are needed to draw any conclusion. AST, AST, Alkaline Phosphatase, GGT, bilirubin, INR, platelet count, etc.

So number are needed with blood test results. High could mention anything form slightly higher than the normal range to 10x or 100x normal values. Different values mean different things.

In order to answer your questions we need real numbers.

Thanks.
hector
thanks hector.  my ggt is not elevated - indeed apparently never has been.  not sure why my doc even checks it, but will ask at next appt in feb.
i just had read several cases where it remained persistently elevated in people...and wondering what the significance of ggt is.
From what I know, doctor's will monitor GGT if they suspect a patient may be drinking alcohol.

"GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transferase) can be used to screen for chronic alcohol abuse (it will be elevated in about 75% of chronic drinkers). Sometimes it may be used to monitor for alcohol use and/or abuse in people who are receiving treatment for alcoholism or alcoholic hepatitis."

Lab Tests Online
http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ggt/tab/test

"Normal results in females under age 45, range from 5 to 27 U/L; in females over age 45 and in males, levels range from 6 to 37 U/L. "

"Elevations may indicate any acute hepatic disease, acute pancreatitis, renal disease, alcohol ingestion, postoperative status, and prostatic metastasis. This test is nonspecific, providing little data about the type of hepatic disease. GGT is particularly sensitive to the effects of alcohol in the liver, and levels may be elevated after moderate alcohol intake and in chronic alcoholism, even without clinical evidence of hepatic injury."

http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/outpatientmanual/content.html

hector