Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Insomnia with Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Insomnia with Cirrhosis

I have tried benedryl/ and ws trying Melatonin....Any idea out there? I am getting 2-3yrs sleep each night

Mike
Hello Mike and welcome to MedHelp!

I need a little more information pertaining to your situation in order to better help you.

What is the cause of your liver disease and what stage are you in? How long ago were you diagnosed? If alcoholism was the cause how long ago did you stop drinking?

Randy

Mike,

I have class A/B cirrhosis (with ascites, jaundice, petechiae (bleeding under the skin) and HE). I have averaged between 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours of sleep per day over the past year. I also have chronic hepatic encephalopathy which can play a role in sleep disturbance also. I don't think I have met one person yet with decompensated cirrhosis who had a normal sleep pattern.

Sleep disturbance and excessive daytime sleepiness are very common in patients with cirrhosis. In addition, a disturbance of sleep is recognized as one of the early signs of hepatic encephalopathy. Reversal of sleep
rhythm, drowsiness and lethargy are classic signs of this disease, and their presence and entity are used to define the clinical stages of hepatic encephalopathy.

The most common feature of the sleep pattern in patients with cirrhosis is broken night time sleep caused by frequent awakenings (this can be cause by the urgency to urinate due to diuretic use), and a daytime functioning affected by frequent episodes of sleepiness and more napping. (I personally never napped during the day) The sleep-wake cycle is also shifted toward the later in the day. The melatonin cycle is also disrupted,

All you can do is try the treatments like you have. None worked for me either, so I have learned to live with not sleeping for about a year now. I don't know have I do it but I figure if I get tired enough then I will need to sleep. Hasn't happened yet.

Good luck!
hector
Try a company called DNR liquid needles they have baths that will help you sleep. I use them for my dad
My doctor gave me a low dose Serquel i take at night, and have been for years. If your oxygen levels are getting to low when sleeping it will wake you. Oxygen finger meters can be bought at any local pharmacy.
I'm End Stage and my doctor only allows benedryl or 1/2 Xanax. I took Ambien during treatment for hep c. I didn't like it and quit as soon as I could.
Have you asked about Melatonin? My transplant doctor gave me a firm NO.
I didn't know about the O2 levels. I'll have to check that out.
Karen:)
blondie717 joined this community
Welcome them!
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Jun 26
10356 commented on dominosarah's status
Jun 26
Track your weight over time