Cirrhosis of the Liver Community
Live Transplant?

Cirrhosis is the end result of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver diseases. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cirrhosis of the Liver patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Cirrhosis of the Liver, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Live Transplant?

My husband and I wanted to know how bad do I haft to get before they would approve to do a live transplant, from a family member or friend? Are since stage four can they go ahead and be tested and go ahead and do it, before I get worse?
I think it might be easier for you if you could manage not to look too far down the road at this point. Once you get evaluated at a transplant clinic and have your MELD score you and your doctor(s) will be able to discuss all of your options.

A short and incomplete answer to your question - if I am reading you right - is that a living donor liver transplant can result in a shorter wait time for transplantation. I think there will be plenty of time to have your potential donors evaluated for suitability.

At this point I would focus mainly on getting an appointment at a transplant center.

Good luck,
Mike
Excellent answer from mikesimon. The first thing is to get a proper evaluation and a MELD score. Living donor transplants are much quicker, but they are not risk-free for either person, so the transplant center would not want to do it before your health is endangered enough to outweigh the dangers of the transplant. It's a complicated set of variables to balance. Try to let things unfold more slowly, but with the guidance of a really good hepatologist.
thanks for the imput. I so appreciate anything I can get at this point.
thanks mike so much for your help. Jules
Dee1956 uploaded a new photo
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
May 29
clean_in_ks commented on photo
May 28
Track your weight over time